Australis applies a holistic approach to facilities management– embracing the principals of Strategic Sourcing, Strategic Asset Management Planning, Total Lifecycle Costing, Engineering and Facilities Management Operations.
We work collaboratively with you to develop practical and effective facilities management strategies that are aligned to your business objectives – delivering facilities management solutions and services that maximise utility, value, longevity and efficiency of your building and infrastructure assets.
Australis has a dedicated team of engineers, facilities managers and operations staff focused on managing and operating our various portfolio of buildings.
We can provide all the requirements for operating your buildings including strategic asset management planning, lifecycle cost planning and engineering support through our team of qualified experts.
We continue to deliver results across a broad spectrum of market sectors:
- Justice and Correctional
- Arts & Entertainment
Our success is attributed to our processes which ensure that from our first communication we understand your needs and strategise a solution to meet and surpass your expectations. We can help you manage your property portfolio, worksites, buildings and fixed assets in a variety of ways, tailored to your specific needs, to enable you to focus on your core business.
Organisations that outsource their facilities management services to Australis know that we manage their facilities as if we own the building ourselves. We provide more than just a Building Manager. We provide a team of experts to maximise the daily operation of your property, always mindful that we deliver outcomes that are aligned with best practice and the corporate objectives of our clients.
We provide strategic solutions in addition to the more tactical and routine day-to-day management that satisfy the needs of ALL your stakeholders. This is done through:
- The provision of people and systems of management to operate your site
- The implementation of cutting edge facilities management practices and tools that preserve the knowledge and maintain the integrity of records and history for your property
- Targeted and timely input from our support team of strategic facilities management consultants and building engineers.
As an additional option we can manage both the Facilities and Property Management of your assets. Together with our property management partners Commercial Portfolio Management we can offer the full spectrum of facilities and real estate and lease management services.
The debate to outsource or insource facilities management shifts and changes over time depending on the financial and cultural dynamics of an organisation. At various stages in the life of an organisation the skill base and knowledge may become drained or in short supply – impacting the efficacy of your in-house facilities management team.
Australis provides a support service that allows your organisation to have the benefit of in-house facilities managers PLUS an accessible and scalable resource base of strategic facilities managers, facilities consultants and engineers. We call this OPERATIONAL SUPPORT.
Operational Support also enables us to improve your processes whilst allowing you to maintain ownership of the management process. It is designed to temporarily bolster the capability in-house management, who are often bogged down in the delivery of the day to day reactive response, so they can focus on the long term and proactive planning and re-engineering required to evolve facilities management systems, processes and practices to the next level of maturity. Typical support activities range from:
- Assistance with management of certification items
- Management of maintenance management systems, records and budgets
- Contract market testing
- Managing works backlog
- Project management
- Facilities management training
- Developing and managing capital plans
- Managing utilities
- Developing processes to retain knowledge
- Providing additional resources to assist with leave requirements
- Provision of technical skills where there is a gap in the knowledge base.
Our resources can serve in the following capacities:
- As dedicated in-house teams in completing long outstanding tasks
- As engineering support to assist Facilities Managers in the field
- In a supervisory/advisory role between business management and facilities management to ensure the two departments are in synergy/aligned to achieve the company’s overall corporate objectives.
We advise and provide Facilities Management consulting services to a broad range of Australian government (local/state/federal) agencies and local and offshore private sector companies.
We are committed to growing our operations nationally and delivering positive outcomes in the regions that we operate- engaging and upskilling local residents in those regions and our agenda includes partnering with local certified indigenous enterprises.
We have recently partnered with respected former academics from the University of Sydney to develop an FM dedicated training program that is based around the best practice delivery of FM Operations, Strategic Asset Management Planning and Life Cycle Cost Planning.
We have also invested heavily in Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology innovation that will unlock and provide significant value to our clients.
Our consulting services include:
- Facilities management reviews
- Pre and post occupancy construction audits
- Risk management and compliance
- Management of maintenance management systems, records and budgets
- Contract market benchmarking and trade supplier management
- Managing maintenance works backlog
- Project management of remedial and capital works
- Facilities management training
- Developing and managing capital works plans
- Development of Strategic Asset Management Plans
- Technical Due Diligence
- Lifecycle cost planning and inspections
- Condition and compliance auditing
- Backlog maintenance planning
- Make-Good assessments
- Procurement of goods, services and works
- Project management
- Development of technical maintenance plans
- Development of environmental sustainability plans
- Provision of work health and safety management systems
- Implementation of maintenance management systems (CAFM, CMMS)
- Provision of strategic accommodation plans
- Relocation strategy planning
- Management of building, CAD planning and As-built systems
- Pre-build assessment to ensure facilities meet the constructed purpose
- Compliance management systems
- Post-build defect management.
Strategic Asset Management Planning
Australis subscribes to a ‘whole of life’ asset management planning framework – embracing the principals of Strategic Sourcing, Strategic Asset Management Planning, Total Lifecycle Costing, Engineering and Facilities Management Operations.
In this manner our clients are able to concurrently and effectively address the interdependencies that intrinsically link the Strategic Sourcing, Strategic Asset Management Planning, Total Lifecycle Cost Management and Facilities Management activities and objectives in a coordinated manner across their operations.
Ultimately, our services and solutions deliver our clients optimal outcomes and tangible benefits across their infrastructure development, capital works and asset remediation program.
Facilities Management Audits
Facilities management audits review the performance of the facilities management services. It examines:
- Management performance
- Contractor performance
- Compliance and risk management
- Energy efficiency
- Financial performance
- Operational performance.
Our detailed reports provide recommendations for improvement and a strategy designed to develop and build on the strengths of current capabilities and practices, whilst enhancing the evolution of the delivery of your facilities management services.
Maintenance Management Systems
We adopt the use of MEX – comprehensive, low cost and effective computerised maintenance management system that can be tailored to your individual site and stakeholder requirements.
The use of our MEX CMMS system allows system driven programming as follows:
- Preventative Maintenance Task List
- Preventative maintenance planning action undertaken on each asset
- Recurring inspection tasks
- Work health and Safety Inspections
- Recurring processes such as collection of contractor insurances, checking first aid kits etc.
This approach facilitates the effective execution of our preventative maintenance, reactive maintenance/repairs and capital works project activity.
As part of our operational solution we can purchase your MEX database, register it in your name and host it on remote servers providing web-based access to your nominated business units/stakeholders for full transparency. Through this approach we ensure that you retain the ownership and control of your asset and maintenance information.
We would be delighted to provide you with a demonstration of the MEX system.
Asset registers are a crucial element of any Facilities Management framework. Without a register of assets, the quantum and nature of asset maintenance is unknown; the long-term organisational costs for asset replacement cannot be established; asset related regulatory compliance cannot be effectively managed and crucial tax depreciation schedules cannot be effectively derived to maximise balance sheet write downs.
We can assist with developing an asset register for you or review your existing asset register.
Australis has a clear understanding of procurement related best practice and how they apply to facilities management, maintenance management and capital works management.
We have a demonstrated track record of success regardless of the scale of the requirement:
- Providing a comprehensive end to end tender management service for the procurement of goods, services and capital works
- Conducting market benchmarking across a broad spectrum of services and commodities
- Formulating and engaging a tailored and fit for purpose roster of suppliers/service providers and
- Undertaking supplier/service provider performance and relationship management reviews.
Development of Maintenance Plans
Our objective is to help our clients effectively manage and control the functionality of the entire asset base of their building so that it functions in a manner that meets the needs of the occupants and the strategic asset objectives of the owner.
In practice this requires that:
- We maintain all assets functioning within the bandwidth of compliance with legislation to the point where they function at the owner’s expected level of risk. If compliance with manufacturers’ recommendations or Australian standards is required, then that also needs to be discussed with the owner’s management team
- If assets are in the process of dilapidation, then these are noted, and the risk curve is discussed with the owner regarding the impact of failure and the cost of remediation per and post failure.
As facilities managers we are responsible for the functionality of the entire asset base of a property and hence, we provide comprehensive maintenance planning and a full expanse of services as an integral part of our total solution offering.
Relocation and Restructure Strategies
Australis is mindful that the physical relocation or restructure of an organisation is driven by the need to manage growth and change. We appreciate the need to minimise the human and commercial impacts of physical relocation and restructure and as such our approach and collaborative process of engagement and planning allows us to meet these core requirements.
The Australis team has significant experience managing and supporting such projects. We provide a comprehensive service that includes the following:
- Initial inspection of sites and related documentation
- Developing options for office fit-out works
- Developing functional designs for building services
- Drafting and space planning services
- CDC or DA submission to council and managing the approval process
- Developing technical specifications
- Developing tender documentation and managing the tendering process end to end
- Quality control
- Safety and regulatory compliance consulting and inspection
- Project Management
- Removalist coordination and management
- Make-good consulting and coordination
- Defects inspection and commissioning
- Occupancy Certificate consulting and management
Asset Management and Life Cycle Cost Planning
A key principle of any Strategic Asset Management Plan and Life Cycle Cost Plan is to ensure that the assets are managed in such a way that they are:
- Fit for purpose
- Compliant to all relevant regulations
- Cost effective to operate and
- Delivering value to the organisation.
Accordingly, it is also imperative that these plans are aligned to an organisation’s strategic, commercial and operational goals.
Our informed approach and demonstrated knowledge contribute greatly towards ensuring that our clients are provided with Asset Management Plans (AMP) and a Life Cycle Cost Plan (LCCP) that can be effectively implemented and harmonised with the demands and objectives of the operational regimes of Facilities Management.
Australis has a successful and demonstrated record of deep expertise, knowledge and delivering asset inspection, asset management practices and life cycle cost planning services.
Australis has implemented numerous Strategic Asset Management Plans and Life Cycle Cost Plans over the past 16 years.
This in turn has led to the creation of a suite of proprietary tools that facilitate a thorough, cost effective and timely process in the development of the client’s Strategic Asset Management Plan (SAMP) and Life Cycle Cost Plan (LCCP).
Development of Work Health and Safety Systems
The effective management of workplace risks is a requirement under the Work Health and Safety Act.
Australis has developed a comprehensive and practical system which identifies and provides management controls and practices to assist organisations with meeting the requirements of the Act.
Our team can provide detailed consultancy and customised manuals that are relevant to your industry’s requirements. These include:
- A hazard register with traceable risk and likelihood values
- An inspection regime
- Site specific inductions protocols and procedures
- Various other forms which meet the requirements of the Act.
Disaster Recovery and Mitigation Planning
‘Plan to avoid the risk of failure’ rather than ‘fail to plan’.
Our team has extensive experience in undertaking risk analysis and developing disaster recovery and mitigation strategies, at the same time providing relevant training to your staff.
It is inevitable that some assets will fail over time. Australis has extensive experience in assisting organisations through various failure scenarios to enable businesses to recover as quickly as possible.
Our Disaster Recovery Management plans comprehensively identify risks, likelihoods, contingencies and scenario based action plans and we have significant experience with:
- Occupancy certificate withdrawal
- Addressing necessary contingencies for both insured and non-insured events.
Development of Staff Training Programs
We have partnered with respected former academics from the University of Sydney to develop an FM dedicated training program that is based around the best practice delivery of Facilities Management Operations, Strategic Asset Management Planning and Life Cycle Cost Planning. This training program, is scheduled to be presented in Europe and Asia later this year and it is part of our current national service offering.
Engineering Services Project Management
The core of Australis’ team is skilled in building services with many of the senior staff being qualified engineers who specialise in operational management and maintenance. This core capability allows us to provide our clients with an end-to-end cost-effective service for managing remediation, relocation, refurbishment and capital works projects.
We are mindful that failure in design or construction, or a lack of documentation can have major repercussions on both a financial and performance level. Our engineering experience means we can detect discreet and problematic areas others may miss during the early stages of a project, circumventing costly remediations.
We take the time to understand your project needs and we are committed to delivering them on time, in accordance with the required specifications and within the defined budget.
Fitouts and Construction Management
As managers of facilities we have undertaken a significant amount of fit out and churn work from internal relocations to the complete relocation of business premises. Our in-house design team can design, tender and project manage any fit-out. Our in-house construction team can provide construction services and solutions to meet your budget whilst being flexible enough to effectively manage variations in order to meet an organisation’s evolving needs.
Make Good Assessments
Many building owners complain that make good assessments rarely meet their desired outcomes. Conversely tenants complain that make good costs are overpriced and are an opportunistic grab for cash by the building owner. Australis offers an effective and informed open-book facilitation service whereby mutual agreement can be readily achieved. Consequently, we have successfully minimised the frequency of legal proceedings and consultancy costs for our building owner and tenant clients.
Technical Due Diligence
“Caveat Emptor”, meaning buyer beware, is one of the most important facets of making a decision before spending millions purchasing a commercial asset. Just as most people seek a vehicle inspection prior to the purchase, the importance of a detailed technical due diligence on the purchase of a building cannot be underestimated. Facilities Managers are the best qualified people to identify the functionality and condition of a building, as we understand the function, inner workings and potential pitfalls of a building at a technical, operational and commercial level .
At Australis we use our qualified experience and our deep understanding of the services and assets; how they function and comply to the relevant regulations/codes/standards; their life cycle and maintenance condition – to conduct a thorough Technical Due Diligence for our clients.